From the Ground Up
From the Ground Up: Langston Hughes in Lawrence, Kansas
39° 00' 40.08"
-95° 17' 33.72"
Lakeview, 5.5 miles northwest of Lawrence on Lakeview River Rd. Lakeview is accessible by driving north on Iowa St. (Highway 59) past the 9th St. intersection; merging into the right lane turnpike exit onto McDonald Dr.; left (west) at the Princeton St. light; and the first right (north) onto N. Iowa St., continuing until it runs into Lakeview Rd. Lakeview Rd. winds westward for five miles. Charles and Mary Langston, maternal grandparents of Langston Hughes, lived at this site until 1886, when they moved to Lawrence. Perhaps the difficult winter between 1885 and 1886, as well as his increasing age, led to the move. Langston Hughes's uncle, Nathaniel Turner Hughes, was born at Lakeview in 1870, and Hughes's mother, Carolina, was born here in 1873. Charles Langston owned 126 acres along the south of the river. In the 1893-94 city directory, just after his death, Charles Langston is still listed as owning 26 acres of this land. He died in 1892, and in 1892 a private gun club was founded here. The private resort still owns the land. Today the parts of the meander closest to the river have silted in, and a road bisects the loop, dividing the lake into two sections.