Browse Alphanumerically


  1. 8/1/1992 (4)
  2. 8/10/1988 (2)
  3. 8/20/1981 (2)
  4. 8/21/1990 (4)
  5. 8/22/1990 (2)
  6. 8/22/1991 (2)
  7. 8/30/1994 (1)
  8. 8/31/1994 (2)
  9. 8/4/1990 (1)
  10. 8/6/1988 (3)
  11. 8/9/1998 (1)
  12. 801 West Sixth St., Lawrence, Kansas (3)
  13. 803 New Hampshire St., Lawrence, Kansas (1)
  14. 804 Massachusetts St., Lawrence, Kansas (1)
  15. 811 Vermont St., Lawrence, Kansas (1)
  16. 820 Massachusetts St. (1)
  17. 820 Massachusetts St., site of the Charles Langston and Richard Burns grocery store, 1888-92 (1866) The awning of 820 Massachusetts now reads Black-Eyed Susans. The city directory listed this business as a grocery, owned by Burns and Co., with Langston Hughes's grandfather as a business associate. According to the Lawrence Weekly Record obituary of 1892, Charles Langston, grandfather of Langston Hughes, moved into Lawrence in 1886 from a farm in nearby Lakeview so he could participate more fully in community life. He was, briefly, associate editor of The Historic Times, a local African American newspaper. He served as president of Lawrence's Colored Benevolent Society, Grand Master of the Masonic Fraternity (colored) of Kansas, and the Counselor of the Knights of the Wise Men of the World. Langston continued to farm (he owned 26 acres at Lakeview in the 1893-94 city directory) as well as maintain his part of the grocery business until his death in 1892, at the age of 75. In 1893-94, Nathaniel Turner Langston, Charles and Mary's son, was listed in the city directory as a grocer with Burns and Co. (1)
  18. 820 Massachusetts St.,, Lawrence, Kansas (1)
  19. 828 Massachusetts St., Lawrence, Kansas (2)
  20. 847 Ohio St., Lawrence, Kansas (2)
  21. 847 Ohio, front entrance of Ninth Street Baptist Church (1872) When Langston Hughes had reason to enter this church, near his grandmothers house on Alabama St., it was known as the Warren Street Baptist Church. In 1945 the city changed all east-west street names to numbers. Hughes attended the funeral of vaudeville personality George (Nash) Walker here in 1911. The building is made of hewn vernacular limestone blocks, a common building material used in the Lawrence area. According to Dr. George Wiley of the Pluralism Project, The Ninth Street Baptist Church has a traditional look. The outside of the church is stone, and there is a large steeple. The basement and dining areas are downstairs, and the worship area is above street level. (1)